Cappello Malipiero Palace Garden

This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)

This palace overlooks the Grand Canal and was formerly known as “Ca’ Granda de’ San Samuel” due to its considerable size. Built with a Byzantine style probably between the X and the XI century by the Soranzo family (historical Venetian traders), it became a property of the Cappellos (some other famous traders) around 1465. Around 1590, the Malipiero family became the tenants of the Cappellos and then they acquired the entire building by marriage. They were responsible for some restoration and expansion works which gave the Palace its current compact appearance.


Like most Venetian palaces, the building has two superimposed main floors. In this case, however, each floor is served by its own staircase, its own water door and its access to completely independent streets. The second main floor is accessed through the Byzantine portal, while the main door (which is more recent) leads to the large XVII century atrium to the majestic apartment on the first noble floor. A large monumental courtyard, the door to the canal and the adjacent XVIII century garden are annexed to it.


The garden of Palazzo Malipiero was built, like many other Venetian gardens, around the end of the XVIII century; at the same time, large palace gardens were quickly disappearing in the hinterland, due to industrial, and residential expansion of the city.

The garden layout is quite peculiar, probably due to the structure of the building itself. It features a simple design made with box hedges (Buxus sempervirens) and it stretches along the side of the building with a double alignment towards the courtyard and the Grand Canal.

The garden has several interesting features; for instance, it offers different perspectives according to where a visitor stands. In fact, when observing it from the Grand Canal, it looks divided into two mirrored parts, with the focal point coinciding with the fountain of the Nymphaeum of Hercules.
On the other hand, when entering the garden from the XVII century entrance hall of the building, a visitor can fully enjoy the perspective view that connects the entrance hall itself to the fountain of Neptune inserted in the opposite wall of the garden.

The whole area is enriched by several XIXcentury statues and skilfully pruned boxwood.
The garden also houses the symbol of the union of the Cappello and Malipiero families: a large well with the coat-of-arms of the Malipieros family, depicting the wedding couple, Caterino and Elisabetta, original founders of this family union.

This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)



041 2750223

Altre info

Visite su prenotazione

Questo sito utilizza cookie tecnici e di profilazione per fornirti una esperienza di navigazione personalizzata