Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /web/htdocs/luoghi.italianbotanicalheritage.com/home/wp-content/themes/ibtviaggi/inc/setup.php on line 177

Il Pinone di Pavullo (Cedrus libani)

This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)

The symbol of the Ducal Park of Pavullo, in the province of Modena, this tree it is affectionately known as “Pinone” (“the big pine tree”). Despite this nickname, it is actually a magnificent, 180 years old specimen of a Lebanon cedar – listed among the most important monumental trees of Italy.

It was planted by the German gardener Carlo Huller who designed and built the surrounding park for Duke Francesco IV. The cedar has now reached a circumference of 18 ft and a height of 124 ft. During the Second World War, it was seriously threatened by German troops looking for firewood but miraculously saved by Mayor Ghibellini.

In February 2015, the “Pinone”, along with an imposing coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens “polycormic”, with two trunks) was heavily damaged by heavy snow, losing a third of its crown. Luckily, it has been extremely well taken care of, and it is now recovering. All this was possible thanks to some experts from SIA (Italian Arboriculture Society), namely Stefano Lorenzi (from Varese, and his mother from Pavia), Vittorio Pagnoni (from San Giovanni in Persiceto), Davide Borghi (from Bomporto), and Jacopo Fini (from Bologna).

In addition to regular proper pruning and some special ropes to shake off the snow in the next winter seasons, the abovementioned professionals performed some radical bio-stimulation, inoculating the soil with amino acids, biostimulants and two types of mushrooms (mycorrhizae, and trichoderma) to antagonize the harmful ones.

Botanical Card:

Cedrus libani

The Lebanon cedar was brought to Europe from the Middle East in 1683. The first Italian specimen arrived only in 1787 and was planted in Pisa’s Botanical Garden.

This type of cedar usually has a wonderful bearing, with a strong trunk that develops branches from the very bottom; its wood is extremely durable and in ancient times it was often used to build temples and buildings. The ancient Egyptians distilled an oil used for embalming their mummies.

This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)

Contatti

Parco Ducale di Pavullo, Via Giardini 6 Pavullo Nel Frignano - 41026 Pavullo Nel Frignano (MO)(MO)

0536 29977 Comune di Pavullo

http://http://bbcc.ibc.regione.emilia-romagna.it

Questo sito utilizza cookie tecnici e di profilazione per fornirti una esperienza di navigazione personalizzata