Villa Pizzo

This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)

Villa Pizzo, between Cernobbio and Moltrasio, was built in 1435 when Giovanni Muggiasca, a merchant from Como, bought some vineyards and olive groves stretching from the lakeshore to the top of the hill.
In 1630, due to the plague, the Muggiascas fled to Pizzo, where they hosted numerous fellow citizens who helped with the land reclamation works in exchange for hospitality. It was during that time of segregation that the works in the park began as well.
In the middle of that century, the building was also renovated according to a simple design with elegant touches.
At the end of the XVIII century, the abbot Giovanni Francesco Muggiasca had a small oratory built on the eastern side of the villa. The last member of the Muggiasca family to live in the property was Giovanni Battista, then bishop of Como: he added some neoclassical furnishings and the funeral marble vase in the park, engraved electric battery and dedicated to Alessandro Volta.
Muggiasca left the villa to Saint Anna hospital in Como, which eventually auctioned the whole estate. It was thus purchased by engineer Bonzanini on behalf of Viceroy Rainier of Habsburg, who lived in the villa for some time, dedicating himself to landscaping the park with a true passion.

In 1865, the villa was purchased by Madame Musard, who had the rooms of the residence renovated and the ancient frescoes on the ceilings with Pompeian-inspired pictorial cycles covered, according to the taste of the time. The façade acquired the very pale pink colour still visible today, while some Chinese-like metal decorations appeared on the roof, along with little bells tinkling in the wind.
In 1871, Madame Musard left the villa which was acquired by the Volpi Bassani family.

The architectural style of this noble abode is quite simple and straightforward, especially when it comes to square but never squat volumes and spaces, the rhythmic arrangement of the floors, and the sober decorations on the façade.


The garden, which lies on the same level of the two main buildings, the main structure and an easternmost building, features the typical Italian style. There are paths running across the flowerbeds, the hedges and several Baroque fountains. The large park is easily accessed from the so-called “Ceppo”, just beyond the annexe of Villa d’Este. From here, a small path, once known as “in Genoa” because of the local mild climate, offers a series of exotic plants, agaves, orchids and other rare species that climb along the steep cliff. Then, there’s the “Cypress Avenue” with an artificial cave with some water features. Following this track, the park turns north-east, towards Moltrasio, through thick tall trees. In the middle of the park, there’s the fountain dedicated to Alessandro Volta, surrounded by the false ruins of a classic temple.

This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)


Via Regina 43 - Cernobbio(CO)

031 511262

Altre info

da 7 a 10 euro

Da Maggio a Settembre dal lunedi al venerdi

Questo sito utilizza cookie tecnici e di profilazione per fornirti una esperienza di navigazione personalizzata